Today is day 4 of my Living Below the Line Challenge. Whilst it's been easier than I thought, I caved yesterday and had a square of chocolate. It has been ridiculously cold all week, and my train had been delayed for half an hour, I was waiting in the cold wind and rain shivering, and then my housemate wanted chocolate. So I caved. But goddamn was that good chocolate!
I've learnt a couple of things during this challenge: How much of eating is a social aspect. When you're not eating anything very interesting, you don't want to make a big deal about it. I tended to eat by myself in the kitchen and come out afterwards and socialise. Likewise with booze: a glass of wine with dinner is always great, but not this week, so again there was nothing to really do.
I also realised that you don't need to eat much. I am someone who eats a lot - I eat large portions and was brought up to eat everything on my plate (within reason - I'm fussy). So realising that I can survive on smaller amounts of food was quite freeing actually. I often tend to eat because I think I'll be hungry later, whereas this time I ate because I was hungry.
Finally, I realised just how lucky we are. Although I am raising money to fight global poverty, it really brought home the fact so many people in our own town are struggling. After rent and bills, many people don't have that much and really, $10 a week for food is quite common. It's been in all the local papers how food charities are struggling because of the increased demand in services for food. So it's not difficult to believe that this is quite normal for some people. And that sucks. It really does.
So I don't know where to go to here. I think I am going to change one of my charities from Greenpeace to the Salvos or Feed Melbourne. It just doesn't seem right that there are people eating 2.5kg burrittos at Taco Bills while so many others go hungry.
But, onto a lighter note: Things I Love Thursday. Woot!
Little things that have made me smile this week include:
- The temperature increasing 2 degrees. I could feel my hands today!
- Finding a wedding location which is AWESOME!
- Getting a seat on the train today and generally having a pleasant ride in. Unexpected, but nice.
- That square of chocolate. Top Deck rocks my socks.
- How I Met Your Mother. Can you say addiction?
- Ange's upcoming hen's party!!
- Positive developments at work - including going to WA in July for a conference! Fun in the sun :-D
- Finding the holy grail of cupcake decorating stores at exactly the perfect time.
- Running about 14kms tonight. The half marathon will be MINE!!
- This picture: