Friday 2 September 2011

30 before 30

Hello! Finally I have time to revisit my 30 before 30 list and see what I still need to do in the next 3.5 months.


1. Go to a new country with a different culture and language
2. Learn another language
3. Run a half marathon
4. Learn to surf
5. Learn to sew (properly), as in take a sewing course.
6. Climb a palm tree
7. Go scuba diving - booked in for this year! 
8. Swim with sharks - half done, if you consider snorkelling with sharks in Sea World as swimming with sharks.
9. Travel around Australia - half done - I'm slowly making my way around, but I haven't seen the outback yet. 
10. Go to Tasmania
11. Go skiing
12. See snow
13. Go to the Amazon - half done. I've been to the Amazon Basin but not the actual Amazon River. 
14. Get a degree
15. See the full moon over water (ideally a beach)
16. Live inner city
17. Go camping under the stars
18. See Macchu Picchu
19. Attend a High Tea, preferably with my mum.
20. Go to a gallery
21. Go to the Museum (I have been to museums, but not the Melbourne Museum...)
22. Do the Oxfam Trail Walk
23. Have a stall at a market
24. Go to Canada
25. Buy a brand new car
26. Do Bikram or Hot Yoga
27. Do 10 chin ups/pull ups
28. See Rammstein Live
29. Go to New Zealand
30. Go to the Melbourne Comedy Festival

I thought I was doing pretty well actually, but I've only done 16 out of the 30...crap! Some of them have been half done, such as swimming with sharks and going to the Amazon, but they're still ones that aren't completed yet. I have plans on cage diving with sharks in the future, and whenever I see pictures of the Amazon I have pangs of longing so clearly that isn't finished yet. 



Some of these I haven't completed and know I won't. For instance I know I won't get to Canada before I'm 30, and that's ok. Oxfam Trail Walk I physically won't be able to do since it's next year and even then I won't be able to do it. I would prefer to climb a palm tree in a tropical island paradise, which will most likely be Thailand for our honeymoon. I'm not really craft anymore so I can't imagine having a craft store, unless it's for old clothes or a glorified garage sale. Learning to surf and taking a sewing course have been on my list every year for a good 5 years or so, probably longer for surfing. Since we're saving for the wedding I don't think they'll happen this year (again!). 





Overall, there's still a good couple of things that I can do in the next few months to knock off the list: 

High Tea with mum
Visit the Melbourne Museum
Bikram or Hot yoga
10 chin-ups or pull-ups (although I'm not 100% convinced about that. But I reckon I should be able to get up to 5. Can't I?!).

Realistically...that's not too bad. I can knock the first two off in a weekend easy. Sweet! 

But one day I will get back to South America. I will boat or canoe along the Amazon, and I will see these guys, the Amazon River Dolphin, or Boto. Even though they look a little freaky, one of my favourite memories was waking up one morning to see my dad (who worked night shift and had just finished work) watching a documentary on the Amazon. In the river was in flood, and there were dolphins frolicking in the water between the trees. Dolphins! In a forest! Fucking awesome. 


Image via Kevin Schafer @ Nat Geo


No comments:

Post a Comment